An eminent part of the electrical system, the electrical distribution boxes are used in commercial and residential buildings. It is used with the switchboards and can help with distribution, protection and monitoring of electricity. They are available in different shapes and structures, based on the location and requirements. It is crucial to get the distribution boxes from reputed suppliers to ensure strict quality control.
Checklist for distribution boxes
Here are a few things that you should check for before getting electrical distribution boxes:
- The components should be of optimum quality in the distribution box.
- You should have enough space to install it properly and the wires must connect conveniently.
- Keep the box in airtight and waterproof enclosures. Make sure that it will not get corroded easily.
- The wiring should be simple and the power distribution must be clear.
- It must trip in time for safety when there is a short circuit or overheating in the circuit.
Types and functions of the distribution boxes
The distribution box electrical are available in different types based on your requirements:
- Main circuit breaker panel- It is the most commonly used type that protects and monitors the circuit while in use. If there is an overheating or short in the circuit, the components of the breaker will detect the fault and cut off the circuit. It helps to prevent greater damage.
- Main lug panel- It is located on the downside of the main circuit breaker panel. This is a sub-panel used for increasing the total number of circuits. The main lug panel has upstream input wires which directly connect the lug. It can share the load of the main breaker panel to meet the increased power demand.
- Sub-panel- It is a small-sized component that helps with power distribution in specific areas. It helps to protect them while in use. If you have special power requirements, you can install the sub-panels and use them without any hassle.
- Fuse box- This distribution box electrical has disposable fuses for protecting the circuit. It can get damaged by overload and short circuits. The fuse has a thin and fusible strip. When the current passes through it reaches a threshold, it will get heated up and melt to cut down the circuit. They have faster reaction times and are suitable for sensitive appliances.
- Transfer switch- It can switch the load between two power supplies. In case the main supply fails, this will help to switch to the backup supply. You can get both manual and automatic transfer switches. The former is cheaper and easier to install, while the automatic ones are more convenient. For demanding places like hospitals, you should go for automatic transfer switches.
Electrical distribution boxes are very convenient. They eliminate the need to connect each output device to the power source directly. This means you will only use the necessary wires. It helps to save energy and streamline the circuit. It also maximizes efficiency and reduces power wastage. The boxes ensure the safety of the building and people who are using the appliances.